(03) 9005 1033   Book Visa Consultation

Working Holiday Visas

Are you under 30 years old and want to experience Australia on a working holiday visa?

A working holiday visa allows for young people between the ages of 18-30 to travel and work in Australia for up to one year.  It is a fantastic opportunity to experience all that Australia has to offer and it will provide a valuable insight into the Australian way of life. You will be able to see first hand if kangaroos or koalas are common pets in every Australian household!

The local work experience you gain will be looked on favourably by future employers. Or perhaps if you have fallen in love with Australia and would like to stay on after your working holiday visa expires, it may lead you to become eligible for other employment sponsorship visas.

Am I eligible for a Working Holiday Visa?

Common Requirements:

To be eligible for your first working holiday visa you must:

  • Be over 18 yrs of age but not yet turned 31 at the time of application;
  • Be a genuine visitor;
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000);
  • have enough money to buy a return air ticket at the end of the visa period;
  • not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay;
  • meet health and character requirements;
  • purchase health insurance unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia;
  • have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government; and
  • meet the relevant requirements in the table below.

You can generally only work six months with one employer.

What are the differences between the two Working Holiday visa subclasses?

Work and Holiday Visa subclass 462 Working Holiday Visa subclass 417
You must hold a valid passport and be a national of the eligible countries listed by the Department of Immigration: Eligible countries include:

·       Argentina

·       Bangladesh

·       Chile

·       China, People’s Republic of

·       Indonesia

·       Israel

·       Malaysia

·       Poland

·       Portugal

·       Slovak Republic

·       Slovenia

·       Spain

·       Thailand

·       Turkey

·       United States of America

·       Uruguay.


Eligible countries include:

·       Belgium

·       Canada

·       Republic of Cyprus

·       Denmark

·       Estonia

·       Finland

·       France

·       Germany

·       Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)

·       Republic of Ireland

·       Italy

·       Japan

·       Republic of Korea

·       Malta

·       Netherlands

·       Norway

·       Sweden

·       Taiwan

·       United Kingdom.


Visa extension Not available Potentially a second working holiday visa of 12 months may be granted if the below requirements are met.

To apply for a second Working Holiday visa subclass 417, you must:

·       have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa

·       have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa

·       have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa

·       have not yet turned 31 years of age.


Previous visas ·       You have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) or a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)


·       You have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462)


Education requirements If you are from Argentina, Bangladesh, the People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Turkey, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain or Uruguay, you must hold a tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed at least two years of undergraduate university study.

If you are from Chile, you must hold a tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed or have been approved to do a third year of undergraduate university study.

If you are from Israel, you must hold a secondary school/high school qualification and have completed mandatory military service or be legally exempt from military service.


If you are from Thailand, you must hold a diploma or degree qualification from the specified list of eligible qualifications included inForm 1208 Application for a Work and Holiday Visa

If you are from the United States of America, you must hold a secondary school/high school qualification.


Not applicable
English requirement Functional English No
Letter of Government support Yes No
Applying in or outside Australia You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa


There is an annual limit to the number of Work and Holiday visas issued to each country.


First Working Holiday visa: You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided.


Second Working Holiday visa: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.


You may be prevented from applying for another visa in Australia if your current visa has a ‘No further stay’ condition.



What does the Working Holiday visa allow me to do?

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.


If you require health insurance as part of your visa conditions, see our working holiday visa insurance page for a free no-obligation quote.

Have further questions?

If you would like some help with your Working Holiday Visa application or an assessment of your eligibility for other visa types, please call us on +61 3 9005 1033 to book a consultation (by Skype, phone or face to face) or book a consultation online.

Evolve Migration Australia © 2014 | All rights reserved | ABN: 15 600 592 158 | MARN: 1465678